Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Springtime in Fairfield County

The spring garden is planted and we are waiting for rain.  Potatoes, peas, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, onions, parsnips, beets, spinach, turnips and chard are in the ground and waiting for the necessary moisture to sprout and grow.  The rhubarb stalks are about five inches long, and I anticipate the first of the asparagus any day.  The peeper frogs were back this year for the second year in a row after their strange disappearance a few years back.  A careful listener can hear the buds of the trees popping open in the early evening warmth.  The bulb cutting beds are ablaze with color from the daffodils, hyacenths, tulips, muscara, and crocus. 
Ohio's Great Horned Owl
But today's big news is that the owls are back.  We always had owls in the woods, but last year they disappeared.  I've heard different theories for their decision to leave.  Some maintain that the Cooper's Hawks run them out.  Others say that there aren't enough rabbits and squirrels in the woods to feed them.  I really don't have a theory, but it was good to hear their distinctive call tonight at dusk.  My heart was gladdened as if an old friend had returned unexpectedly, which I suppose he had. 

All around me, the beauty and wonder of creation calls me to the worship of God.  I praise him for his bounty and his grace, and for callling me to live and work in this garden of the earth that is Greenfield Township, Fairfield County Ohio.

No comments: