Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mere Anglicanism 2013


This evening at about 9:30, I got home from Mere Anglicanism 2013.  It was a glorious experience, with presentations about the Person and Work of Jesus from a team of international scholars.  We were challenged by preachers and teachers alike to acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus in our lives, and to go forth to do his work in the world.  Topics included Christ in the Old Testament and how the message of Paul is the same message as that of the Gospels.  There was a wonderful presentation about how members of non-Christian faith communities around the world view Jesus, and the last presentation by Eric Metaxas about Dietrich Bonhoeffer was so good that I went out and bought his book, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy Thomas Nelson 2010.

But Mere Anglicanism is about so much more than classes and challenges.  Like the camp meetings of old, it is a time and a place to meet new friends and greet old friends.  It is a time to drink in the ambience of Charleston, arguably one of the most gracious and beautiful cities in America.  It is a time to sense the presence of God in worship and sacrament and song, and for one small period of time to realize with profound thanksgiving that I am not alone theologically or culturally.  It is a time to know that God is not through with this wonderful and beautiful thing called Anglicanism.

My thanks to the organizers and hosts of this, my conference of choice.  I hope everyone will plan to join me and so many others in Charleston next January for a rational and faith based examination of science and our faith.  It is a trip and a commitment you will be glad you made.

My only regret is that my wife Rebecca was not able to travel with me to this year's conference.  We had such a good time together last year.

No comments: