Monday, January 14, 2013

Holiness Unto the Lord- Rector's Rambling Lent 2013

Rector’s Rambling- February 2012

On Saturday, just two days ago, I put the first seeds of the year into the propagator, which is currently located in my study. I did everything precisely as I have always done, with one exception. Instead of watering with tap water, I used “Root Stimulator: Accelerated Root Growth for Clones and Seedlings,” manufactured by Hydro Gardens and Lights in Columbus, Ohio. When I got home after youth group tonight, I was astounded to find cabbage and broccoli plants already sprouted! Two days from seed to sprout is a record in my experience, and it got me to thinking. When Jesus does a work in my heart, are the results so spectacular or as quick? When the Holy Ghost convicts me of some action or attitude and by God’s grace I sense the need to change my ways, am I put to shame by one of the humblest members of God’s creation, a lowly cabbage seed? I am afraid that sometimes, not always, but more often than I can justify, the answer is yes.

Such thoughts are perhaps good preparation for the holy season of Lent. Until we recognize our own shortcomings, it is doubtful that we will ever truly respond to God’s offer of transformation in our lives. Ultimately, Lent is about transformation- transformation from what we are into what God would have us to be. Wise men taught me in seminary that Christian holiness has two important aspects. The first is positional holiness. Because I am among the baptized and have been marked as Christ’s own forever, I am set apart, or holy, and dedicated to his work. But when properly understood and rightly experienced, this positional holiness must be accompanied by moral holiness. That is, my life must be more like the life of Jesus than it was before I received his grace. If I was a liar, I must stop lying. If a thief, I must stop stealing. If a bigot, I must walk away from my prejudices. If my sexuality was out of control, it must be disciplined and brought within the parameters of what God’s Word allows. The list goes on and on, but the point is clear. When God does his work in us, we are named as his own and dedicated to his purposes, and we are also expected to exhibit change from what we were to what he would have us to be. Our lives, touched by grace, must begin to look more like the life of our Lord, or in all likelihood, our religion is a sham and a hypocritical lie.

When the prophets said that God would take out of his people their hearts of stone and replace them with living hearts of flesh, they said that the day was coming when we would follow the expectations of Scripture not because we had to, but because we wanted to. They never said it would be easy, or that we would always get it right, but they did say that we would be known as a people set apart for God. Like my cabbage and broccoli seeds, we would be transformed from what our own decisions had made us into the people, and into the community of faith, that God created us to be. As we enter this sacred season of preparation for Easter, let us look honestly at our own lives and motives, and commit all of our shortcomings to God’s transformation. The Bible tells us that our God is a miracle worker, and that those actions and attitudes which we seem to be so unable to change can be transformed in an instant by him who raised the dead and caused the blind to see. Might we together take advantage of those Lenten programs and disciplines which will help us to persevere in this life of transformation and holiness, and might we be there for each other in our times of temptation, weakness, and need.

Lenten Programs:

Feb 13th at noon and 7pm: Ash Wednesday Imposition of Ashes

Feb 17, 24, Mar 10, &17 at 5: Lenten suppers and speakers

Mar 3 at 4: Choral Evensong and simple supper.

All Sundays at 8 & 10:30 and Wednesdays at noon: Holy Communion

Confession: By appointment, call 215-3900

Mar 24 Palm Sunday

Mar 28 at 7: Maundy Thursday

Mar 29 at noon: Good Friday liturgy and Stations of the Cross

Mar 31: EASTER! THE SUNDAY OF THE RESURRECTION!

No comments: