Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Finding Freedom in a Coercive Age

Since returning from Mere Anglicanism Saturday night, I've been doing a lot of thinking in fits and starts.  The weather has been perfect for it- warm and rainy for late January, with glorious storms which make me realize the smallness of my life.  Had there been time, I would have listened to Beethoven and sat motionless, surrounded by my dogs and nursing a snifter of Napoleon's favorite.  But there was no time.  The annual meeting was Sunday morning after church, and then came a service at one of the local nursing homes.  Monday morning was to the doctor with my mother and appointments through Evensong, and I arrived home at about 9:30.  Tuesday was no better in terms of time, and I think the day ended in the neighborhood of midnight.  But along the way, events and conversations drew me into my own thoughts, and gave me pause as I considered my own place within the church, locally and beyond.
Oh to relax "avec l'empereur"

We seem to live in an age of uncertainty and fear, and the outgrowth is generalized distrust and aggravation.  We have forgotten how to engage those with whom we disagree, and unfortunately, there are those of almost every persuasion who consistently do their best to coerce everyone around them to do all things their way.  Of course it is all done in the name of love, or justice, or Christ, or Allah, or the poor, or national security, and it is always "for the children."  I get so tired of "damned whigs" trying to fix me and telling me what to do.  Whether they be on the left or on the right or in-between does not matter.  Some days I just want to lock all three gates and never leave the farm again. 

The Boys Wishing I would Just Stay Home at the Farm!

And then two things came into my life.  The first was Tuesday's exemplification of the Mark Master Degree in the Royal Arch Chapter here in Lancaster.  It reminded me that "the first shall indeed be last and the last first," and that my acceptance by God is all of his grace, and that as I receive the free and unmerited gift of his grace, I am expected to behave in a much more responsible manner than I did before.  In short, I am expected to be more and more like Jesus in my dealings with people, just because it is right, and not for any strategic reason.  The second was a conversation with Tom Hammer, my Senior Warden and longtime friend here at St. John's Church, who reminded me that it is in the Scriptures that God gives us the answers we seek, often when we least expect them.  And the answer I sought he passed on to me from yesterday's daily office epistle lesson, namely that I should be more like Jesus and his Apostles, and not worry so much about the input of human wisdom or practical opportunities.   It is my job simply to be more like Jesus. 
Oh to be like thee!
Jesus Christ my Saviour and Lord.

This may not sit well with the current state of the church or the nation or the world.  It certainly will not make some people happy, but it is the call of Christ to me, and to all of us who name Christ as Lord.  It calls me to remember that prophesy of the day when God's people would do what was contained in the law not because they had to, but because they wanted to.  I pray in all humility that I am beginning to get to that point.  Many thanks to my brothers of the Holy Royal Arch, and to my longtime friend and brother Tom Hammer for helping me to learn anew this eternal lesson about being free in Jesus.

No comments: