Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Joy of Living

Hoppe's iconic #9

Today started early (at about 6:45 AM) with two services of Holy Communion and a class on the Exodus by noon, then lunch with Rebecca at Four Reasons, phone calls, a Communion distribution at a local nursing home, a visit to my failing mother, and a seminar at the church.  When I arrived home at about 7:30 PM, Oscar was delighted to see me.  Accompanied by Quincy and Rawley, we went to the barn to look after Princess, Ashley's horse, and the birds.  And then it was back to the shop to pick up shotguns for cleaning and a bit of maintenance.  And that is when Oscar, the Spaniel, came to life.  The sight of uncased guns, the smell of powder, and the intoxicating odor of Hoppes #9 was like an on switch to my little black dog.  He ran and barked and galumphed with all of the joy he could muster... and he did not stop until the guns were cleaned, adjusted, and locked in the safe. 
Winchester's fabled Model 12

He and Rawley are now asleep on my feet.  Quincy, who does not like guns at all, has retired to the loft.  And here I sit thinking about what it is that brings me the joy I witnessed in my dog tonight.  I've still not come up with an answer, but I will continue to work on the question in the days to come.  Such absolute joy and perfect happiness borne of anticipation must be filled with innocence and certainly is as  without guile as blessed Nathaniel.  I'll spend a few days on this, and hopefully, by God's grace I will find the key to knowing such absolute happiness this side of heaven.
Stoeger's sturdy workhorse, the Uplander

2 comments:

Whit Johnstone said...

1658 I am very glad to see that you are enjoying life. How goes your black powder season Brother?

George William Pursley said...

Well, I've put up a fair share of game, but am back to silver powder on the MEC because it takes so much time to load the BP shells. I hope all is well with you. We miss you on Wednesdays, and pray for you, Nick, and those who can't join us because of work or other necessary vocations. See you soon Whit.