Friday, October 4, 2013

Breakfast At Briarwood

The View at Breakfast this Morning
 
What started as a very normal week became a very hectic week when my friend Jim interrupted Wednesday morning's Bible study in the church library to announce, "Bill, your Mom is in the hospital and Rebecca will meet you there."  My well planned schedule was cast to the winds, and as I drove to the hospital, I made calls to insure that my responsibilities were covered for the next couple of days.  Mom is recuperating nicely and hopes to be released today, and once again I give thanks for my good neighbors at Fairfield Medical Center here in Lancaster.  On Thursday, I was able to make the trip to our Diocesan Retreat Center at the Proctor Farm to receive Communion from my Bishop and attend the Clergy Day workshop.  And then, things got wonderfully interesting.

I had decided that on the way home, I would stop for some dove shooting at Deer Creek State Park with Oscar.  It was raining and the corn had been removed in the area I had targeted, so the doves were down.  I drove over to a spot which on the map had looked like a stand of mature oak and hickory trees to find that it was merely a young stand of softwoods, and so squirrel hunting was out as well.  Then, as a consolation, I decided to take young Oscar and walk down a couple of small creeks in the area to see if I could find any wood duck.  We were not disappointed!  We found two small flocks, or perhaps gaggles of ducks, and Oscar was in heaven.  This was his first introduction to them, While I was unable to shoot because the season is not yet in, I believe I have the makings of a pretty good water dog.  He did not settle down until we got back to Circleville! 
Oscar at Breakfast this Morning
 
And so here we are at breakfast this morning after a good night's sleep.  Two eggs soft boiled, bacon, toast with Rebecca's spiced rum peach jelly, and tea completed the meal.  Surely there is no place like home, except heaven, and that is after all home, and what we try to imitate in the design and temper of those places where we live and worship in this life.  Soon, I will go into town to see how Mom is doing, and then perhaps to AW Marion State Park for a bit of fishing. But until then, I will settle in with my Bible and enjoy this little bit of heaven we call Briarwood.

No comments: