Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Cure for the Summertime Blahs


Rector’s Rambling, August 2013

Summer is here with a vengeance. Today it is 95 degrees and the humidity is dripping. (The electric is out and we are on generator power.) We have had thunderstorms for seemingly weeks on end, and the ground has that swampy smell from which there is no escape. It is not my favorite time of year.

But when I think about the good things in my life, I realize how much they overshadow the bad things, and even on the hottest day of the year, I can find reason to give thanks and find contentment where I am. Here is a sampling:

1. Our nation is free of civil unrest.

2. My children and grandchildren are safe and happy.

3. My bird dog starts training next week.

4. The peppers and tomatoes are almost ready to pick.

5. The eggplant and squash are ready to pick.

6. I love my wife and she loves me.

7. Jesus lives in my heart and my name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Of course, the list goes on, but I think you get the idea. When we face a situation or time which is not our first choice, it is good to count the blessings we do enjoy. God never leaves us alone or comfortless, and when we think about it, we are much more likely to recognize his blessings all around us. Here are a few of the blessings in my life. I hope they will help you to develop your own list of things for which you can give thanks.

Helen Grace
 
George Ambrose
Margaret Rose
Our Church
Goofy Little Dogs

Ill Tempered Horses



Rebecca and Me

No comments: