Monday, March 25, 2013

Favorite Spring Saints

Rector’s Rambling: April 2013

As I sit down to write during Holy Week, snow swirls outside my door. But the sprouting and blooming bulbs tell me that spring is just around the corner. With it comes some of my favorite Saint’s Days, and I am pleased to commend them to you.

March 31st, John Donne, Priest and Poet


Holy Sonnet XIV


Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.



April 21st, Anselm, Abbot of LeBec, Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher of the Faith


 
From his Proslogion

 
God of truth,
I ask that I may receive
So that my joy may be full.
Meanwhile let my mind meditate on it,
Let my tongue speak of it,
Let my heart love it,
Let my mouth preach it,
Let my soul hunger for it,
My flesh thirst for it,
And my whole being desire it,
Until I enter into the joy of my Lord,
Who is God one and triune, blessed for ever. Amen.


April 23d, George, Martyr and Patron of England

 
From a sermon by Peter Damien

Saint George, whom we commemorate today, moved from one kind of military service to another, exchanging the earthly office of tribune for the ranks of the army of Christ. Like a well disciplined soldier he first jettisoned the burden of his earthly possessions by giving all he had to the poor. Once free and unencumbered, and wearing the breastplate of faith, he was able to advance into the thick of the battle like a valiant soldier of Christ. From this we learn a clear lesson, that we cannot fight properly and boldly for the faith if we are frightened of losing our earthly possessions.

April 24th, Mellitus, Bishop of London, first Bishop at St. Paul’s

From Bede’s A History of the English Church and People

In the year of our Lord 604, Augustine, Archbishop of Britain, consecrated two bishops, Mellitus and Justus. Mellitus was appointed to preach in the province of the East Saxons… When this province too had received the faith through the preaching of Mellitus, King Ethelbert built a church dedicated to the Holy Apostle Paul in the city of London, which he appointed the Episcopal see of Mellitus and his successors.

All selections are taken from Celebrating the Saints, compiled by Robert Atwell. SCM Press 2004.

Oh yes, I would be amiss if I did not include one more Christian Gentleman with the coming of Spring.  I believe a couple of pictures from Winchester Cathederal's "Great Fishy Window" and a few quotes will suffice.
The hero is of course Izaak Walton, author of "The Compleat Angler, or The Contemplative Man's Recreation"
"God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."
"I  have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."
"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned."

"As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler."
"God has two dwellings; one in heaven, and the other in a meek and thankful heart."

Walton's quotes are drawn from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/i/izaak_walton.html#TrFirMH2eLKuDEKH.99


 

No comments: