Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wasting a Day or Two




"Then come, my sister! come, I pray,
     With speed put on your woodland dress,
And bring no book; for this one day
     We'll give to idleness."

William Wordsworth
"Lines Written At A Small Distance From My House..."
Lyrical Ballads


These past few days since Boxing Day and the Feast of St. John, I have indulged in the poet's suggestion to his beloved Dorothy and giv'n myself to idleness.  It is an important thing for a priest, or I suppose anyone, to do from time to time.  It is different from sabbath.  It is merely a time for sleeping in and letting the mind grow fat with nothingness.  With the coming of Sunday Services on the morrow, it will end for me, but it has been lovely. 
 
I visited my daughter and son-in-law and the girls at their newly acquired horse farm.  We made snowmen, went sledding, and drank hot cocoa, and laughed a lot.

I read books about training gun dogs in preparation for the selection and homecoming of the "Espaniel Breton" that Rebecca gave me for Christmas.  Tristan and I drove to Bay's Packing House on Pleasantville road and brought home the beef we bought back at the end of November.  The hanging weight of 1250 pounds netted us almost 700 pounds of packaged beef.  That well keep three families of us through the coming year! 

We watched "The Hunt for Red October" with Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin, and "The Replacements" with Gene Hackman and Keanu Reeves.  We took in a couple of great parties. 

I hope that all of my readers were able to find at least a couple of days to do nothing over the holiday season.  I wouldn't reccomend it as a regular practice, but as an occasional indulgence, it is wonderfully refreshing!

No comments: