Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hail The Conquering Hero

Faithful Pat The White Hound
When I arrived home this afternoon, both terriers were barking at the south end of the barn.  I assumed they were bothering my chickens, who were on pasture for the day.  But as I passed the sawdust bin, I saw the body of a red fox draped across a stack of concrete bags.  Closer inspection revealed that it was still warm and limp.  Neither terrier was bloodied, so I placed the carcass where they couldn't get it, checked my birds, and returned to the house to change and do chores.  Faithful Pat, the white hound, was waiting for me at the back door of the house.  He was seriously bloodied and had a deep gash across the top of his head, revealing his bare skull.  He didn't seem to be in pain, and so I slipped a lead on him, walked him to the Jeep, and drove him to the vet, who assures me that with a few stitches he will be as good as new.  I pick him up tomorrow morning. 

For some ten years, Pat has been my primary line of defense against deer, racoons, fox, coyotes, and other mid to large sized animals who left to themselves would decimate my gardens, kill my birds, and generally wreak havoc on the farm.  While I have lost a few chickens, lettuce, and cabbage from time to time, and more than my fair share of quail and pheasants on one or two occasions, Pat's presence has been a consistant and generally non lethal deterrent to maurading creatures in the neighborhood.

But today, the game was obviously more serious.  Herr Todd had designs on my laying flock, and a thirteen year old dog, retired and well past his prime, did exactly what he was bred and kept to do, at no small cost to himself.  I salute his courage  and look forward to his triumphant homecoming tomorrow morning.  He will have a place of honour by the fire, and I might even cook him steak and eggs for supper tomorrow night.

It is said that the High Kings of ancient Ireland kept special packs of white hounds which were valued for their courage, faithfulness, and sporting ability.  I don't know if my Pat carries their bloodline, but he certainly exhibits their characteristics.  Thank you Pat for a job well done.  Might we all be as true to our calling as you have been today.

As for Mr. Fox, I will take him to the taxidermist tomorrow morning.  His beauty will entrance children and visitors for years to come. 

No comments: