Friday, June 12, 2009

Morning Resolve

Rawley is at my feet, and just outside my window, chickens and horses range on a luxuriant green pasture filled with white dutch clover. The sky is slate grey and the birds sing. The scene is idyllic, and a heady tonic with which to start the day. Tristan called early this morning to confirm his flight number for some Marine paperwork having to do with his upcoming leave. I’ve made coffee, visited with my dad, pulled weeds in the garden, and taken care of chores around the barn and house, and cleaned up my e-mail. Shortly, I will begin my daily rounds. Most of today will be taken up with visitation, but I will find time to take dad to the pharmacy, and to work on a pre-baptismal curriculum for adults. Along the way, I also need to spend some time in the Psalms and with a couple of Paul’s Lesser Epistles. I’ve just finished a week in the Pastorals to significant profit. How sad it is to realize how I fall short, but how refreshing to experience God's forgiveness and strength for the next round. When Saint Paul used his boxing and track & field images, perhaps this is a bit of what he had in mind.

A report in the Washington Times today alleges that the last administration instructed the Federal Reserve to threaten and bully Bank of America into buying Merrill Lynch, or some other troubled financial concern. A sidebar directed my attention to an earlier story about how the current administration allegedly applied undue pressure in the General Motors bailout and bankruptcy proceedings. If the allegations are true, it occurs to me that we live in a world characterized by coercion. Most of us are very willing to make other people do what we want most of the time. What a sad sate of affairs when men and women employ force to get their way from their fellows. It always leads to hard feelings and violence of one sort or another.

A few days ago, I received a well intentioned, good natured invitation for St. John’s to become involved in the distribution of government faith based programs. I respectfully declined, not because the programs would not help people (they probably will) but because where money flows, regulation and ultimately control follow. I firmly believe that the Church must maintain her independence if she is to function prophetically in society. So often we might temper our words or our actions to protect our capital investments, our clergy remuneration plans, and our structures. I’m not sure it is wise to complicate the matter further and buffer our witness to the Gospel of Christ by tying our programs and budgets to public monies.

It is 7:30, and time to move on to the next item on my list. Today, I will do my best to appreciate the blessings of God all around me, and to do no act or utter any word which might serve to coerce or control any person whom God has made. I shall attempt to model the love of God to all I meet by remembering my own shortcomings, studying to be quiet, and working with my own hands to accomplish the mission God has given me.

Bill+

No comments: