Monday, July 7, 2008

Aftermath

Independence Day in Lancaster was wonderful! The US Marine Corps Band from New Orleans marched in our parade and performed before the fireworks at the fairground. As always, friends and family from St. John's Episcopal Church gathered on the Church Steps to watch the parade. During and after the fireworks, we gathered with brothers from Lancaster Lodge #57 F&AM and their wives at the Martin's home just behind the fairgrounds. And now it is a fond memory. Son Tristan has returned to Camp Lejeune to resume his duties with the Corps. Daughter Ashley and Husband Matthew have returned to Athens to await the imminent birth of our first grandchild. Rebecca and I are here with the dogs, trying to keep cool and finishing up those last few chores before the baby is born.
Words never quite seem adequate to describe the blessings that God has showered upon us here at Briarwood Farm. And yet, when I consider such things as liberty, family, friends, plenty, and salvation, I realize that I am called to receive and pass on His blessings, not to define them. To live simply and responsibly with those around me- To give thanks in all things- To submit to Him who loves me with the full confidence that He will never desert or betray me, surely this is the path to true happiness.

1 comment:

The Canter Family said...

Amen and amen! Briarwood Farm is a true slice of heaven here on earth, and a blessed place for my brother and I to come home to. Mom and Dad have made it a peaceful expression of the grace in their lives. This weekend, as always, it has been a source of joy and inspiration. I cannot wait to share it with little George Margaret (still waiting!). Thanks Dad, for sharing it with as much of the world as cares to notice. I know it will do someone some good.